|MetaFilter's site and server can always use upgrades of hardware, software, and bandwidth, as well as more stable funding for continued support of its small but high-skilled moderation and backend team! If you'd like to chip in, you can donate to Metafilter.|
From Mefi WikiJump to navigationJump to search
This is a list of MetaFilter oddities; files, old pages, stalled projects, weird corners, and shadowy back alleys from various dead-ends in the site's evolution.
The shadowy back alleys of MetaFilter:
Functions & Features
- badday - Log of a painful hard drive upgrade.
- 100 random MeFite websites
- Donate to MeFi
- Google Earth KML File (Instructions on using MeFi KML with Google Earth)
- Social Explorer - Where else do MeFites hang out?
- TextAds are phased out.
- Close Your Account. This is the page you see when you click the link at the bottom of your profile.
- Mobile MeFi for your portable devices.
- gopher.metafilter.com - November 2000 - June 2001
- Download/export your comments (relevant MetaTalk post)
- Ask MeFi Interest Areas (shows the most frequently occurring Ask MetaFilter tags on questions you have answered)
- Members Area (Members Only jacket required.)
- The Sidebar, before it was Powered by Blogger or wevs.
- Content of the Sidebar as a stand-alone page.
- The Sidebar Archives
- Browser Check
- MeFi is getting a massage. You don't want to see this page, ever.
- Read-only mode. A new feature of server migrations.
- Random post redirects - Mefi, AskMe, MeTa, Music, Projects, Jobs.
- Go to a random post, comment, or post or comment chosen from the items that you have favorited.
- Feed of final updates to long-closed Ask MetaFilter questions.
- Shop MeFi - $$
- Newer MeFi Mall - (ca. 2009)
- Kottke header and footer
- Give the gift of MetaFilter
- Capital and Stratification within Virtual Community: A Case Study of Metafilter.com by Quartermass
- The Best Posts of August, 2006 (3/day)
- The MetaFilter Scholarship Fund (2001)
- MetaFilter's Style Sheet (um, and another one?)
- dios vs. rothko fundraiser
- MetaFilter Redesign Contest
- MetaFilter goes on vacation.
- MetaFilter.com is 2 years old!
- Custom Baseball Shirts
- Happy Birthday mathowie Polka! (See MeTa thread)
- The Print PDF
- 2010 - The Year in MetaFilter Infographic
comprehensive listing at April Fools
- MeFi Labs: An experimental subsite introduced in January 2014 designed to contain experiments and interesting ideas. Includes 2013: The Year in MeFi Stats among other statistical and aggregated information.
- MetaFilter statistics: Infodump (includes stats on posts, comments, favorites, contacts, and users). Some analyses using the Infodump can be found on the MetaAnalysis & Infodump and Excel pages.
- MetaFilter corpus: Corpus (a collection of language data about Metafilter, intended as an adjunct to the Infodump). Metafilter Corpus - Frequency Tables.
- Web Server statistics for MetaFilter ca. Feb. 2002, Mar. 2001.
- Warning: This page labeled zipcode data might crash your browser.
- The moderator spammerwatch interface.
- Google Analytics says
- Sirens (Beacons)
- 2010: The Year in MetaFilter traffic stats infographic by mathowie
- TravelFilter was an experimental AskMe offshoot that never got off the ground
- User Word Clouds
- MarkovFilter - Come again?
- Banned For Life
- Banished won it
- Profile Photos - What do MeFites look like?
- Recent Twitters - Say what?
- Recent Flickr Uploads - Say cheese.
- Recent LastFM Tracks - Sounds good.
- MetaFilter Taglines (MetaFiltr)
- taglines.gif (image, MeTa)
- The Jabber Server (defunct)
- Says Who? - Think you know your mefites? Try your hand at the Metafilter identification game (see MeTa thread)
- Metatalk thread closure status by month and per thread. (MetaFiltr)
- Flag Distribution (MetaFiltr)
- Threads containing at least one comment consisting solely of a single '.' character - (MetaFiltr)
- Your very own Gold Star
- Katrina Relief corner link
- Mattcupid/Siren dizzyingly put to use in this MetaTalk thread.
- What MetaTalk looks like for the mods.
- MeFi is On Notice.
- Vestiges of an April 1 buyout.
- MetaFilter: more addictive than crack.
- MetaFilter: Now wasting 12% more work time.
- I voted and it totally sucked.
- Initial image of MeFi user locations KML file from this introductory MeTa thread.