|MetaFilter's site and server can always use upgrades of hardware, software, and bandwidth, as well as more stable funding for continued support of its small but high-skilled moderation and backend team! If you'd like to chip in, you can donate to Metafilter.|
The term "subsites" or "sub-sites" refers to any of the something.metafilter.com. There are currently seven active subsites, one experimental subsite, and a number of temporary or trial subsites and user-proposed subsites that were discussed but never made real.
History of Adopted Subsites
MetaFilter currently has seven officially adopted MetaFilter subsites.
- March 2000: MetaTalk, an area of the website specifically devoted to issues that concern the website itself. It is also known as MeTa or the "the grey".
- December 2003: Ask MetaFilter, where users ask the community a variety of questions, taking advantage of the experience and knowledge of the other members. Also known as AskMe or "the green."
- November 2005: MetaFilter Projects is where people post links to sites they've worked on (the only official way share self-links for consideration as a front page post).
- August 2006: MetaFilter Jobs is a supsite where jobs are posted by MeFites.
- June 2010: MetaFilter IRL, and is where MeFites can post meetups, concerts, art openings, and other events MetaFilter members are involved in and other members can participate in. Meetups were originally MetaTalk territory.
- November 2012: MetaFilter Chat is sort of a subsite, allowing users to chat in realtime by way of a web client, or it can be accessed with a stand-alone client. Not to be confused with the spin-off/related site, MetaChat.
- TravelFilter existed in an alpha form (Archive.org view) for a short while, then was shut down due to the way travel functioned as a filter of Ask.MetaFilter, only to be reborn as Travel Locations feature in Ask.MetaFilter.
- MetaFilter 10th Anniversary subsite was created specifically for meetups around the world, happening around July 17-19, 2009.
- Politics Filter (January 9, 2001; March 22, 2006 - comment from mathowie: "it won't be happening anytime soon;" )
- PoliticalFilter.com existed for a short time in 2008-9 (Archive.org view), but the site went quiet and is now a squatted domain.
- TravelFilter \ MetaFilter City-specific Pages (August 3, 2005; January 30, 2006; June 26, 2006 ; April 10, 2007 -- comment from mathowie: "I'm working on Travelfilter. It'll be half Ask MeFi questions about travel grouped by city, half reports from people that have taken trips to those cities. I'll probably launch it in May.")
- MediaFilter (March 27, 2014) - the first user-proposed subsite since Travel that gained much traction. It became FanFare, an experimental episodic TV sub-site, announced in April 2014. In July 2014, it was announced that FanFare would expand to include movies and its own discussion sub-sub-site, FanFare Talk. As of August, FanFare and FanFare Talk posts are still reviewed and approved by a mod before going live, and users can only post to FanFare and/or FanFare Talk once a day (24 hours from the prior post going live).