|MetaFilter's site and server can always use upgrades of hardware, software, and bandwidth, as well as more stable funding for continued support of its small but high-skilled moderation and backend team! If you'd like to chip in, you can donate to Metafilter.|
What Is A Good Comment
From Mefi WikiJump to navigationJump to search
- No ad-hominems or name calling. It doesn't impress anyone.
- Try and use proper spelling and grammar (although some make an art form out of not doing this).
- Split your comment up into paragraphs - a long, unbroken block of text is very hard to read.
- Smart ass, snarky and otherwise non-contributive comments should be approached with caution and avoided entirely in Ask Metafilter.
- Provide further links on the topic if you can.
- If you want to address a specific member just call them by username. The @ convention isn't used.
- Judge the tone of the conversation. A comment that might be welcome in a thread on a funny topic might be unwelcome in a thread on a death or natural disaster.
- Don't copy and past large amounts of text from elsewhere on the web. Link to it, instead (with a short quote if you feel it's necessary).