|MetaFilter's site and server can always use upgrades of hardware, software, and bandwidth, as well as more stable funding for continued support of its small but high-skilled moderation and backend team! If you'd like to chip in, you can donate to Metafilter.|
From Mefi WikiJump to navigationJump to search
Personal Finance AskMe Questions
Started in this MetaTalk post. Given that the original compiler is an American, this series of links is very USA-centric. Please feel free to add AskMefi questions that relate to your country or culture.
Personal Finance Resources
Resources from Mefites
Debt and Credit
- How to approach paying off multiple creditors.
- Getting out of debt: "Be smart. Don't play games."
- A no credit lifestyle.
- A method for determining how much credit card debt you should allow yourself.
- "Today is the first payday of the rest of my life": strategies for complete money reform.
- Why the fastest way to get out of debt isn't the best way to get out of debt.
- When bankruptcy is the way to go.
- What credit cards are best?
Saving and Investing
- How do I determine where to put my money?
- What are the best methods for saving over the short term (3-5 years)?
- How can I afford to build an emergency fund?
Major Money Events
Household Money Management and Keeping Financial Records
- Tracking expenses and budgeting 101.
- How to handle an increase in income wisely.
- How to keep track of multiple people spending from one account.
- The work/life/money balance.
- How much money should I budget for unexpected expenses?
- "Stabbing myself in the eye with a letter opener": What records do we need to keep, and how do we do it?
- The emotional aspects of money.
Managing Money in Relationships
- Deciding whether you're a "our money" couple or a "your money/my money" couple.
- Advice on tracking expenses with your spouse/significant other.
- Balancing finances when one person in a relationship makes more than the other.