|MetaFilter's site and server can always use upgrades of hardware, software, and bandwidth, as well as more stable funding for continued support of its small but high-skilled moderation and backend team! If you'd like to chip in, you can donate to Metafilter.|
Frequently Asked Of Metafilter
So there seem to be a handful of questions that pop up on AskMe all the time. Unfortunately the current searching options don't make it easy to figure out if your question is a dupe. Maybe this FAQ will help.
- 1 Computers & Internet
- 2 Technology
- 3 Home & Garden
- 4 Work & Money
- 5 Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation
- 6 Society & Culture
- 7 Travel & Transportation
- 8 Science & Nature
- 9 Education
- 10 Health
- 11 Shopping
- 12 Food & Drink
- 13 Writing & Language
- 14 Human Relations
- 15 Media & Arts
- 16 Pets & Animals
- 17 Religion & Philosophy
- 18 Clothing, Beauty & Fashion
- 19 Law & Government
- 20 Grab Bag
Computers & Internet
Q: Where can I get an invitation to (private beta of web 2.0 site)?
Q: I'm looking for a web application that does (Photograph sharing/ Time managing/ Document collaboration/ Set up a calendar / Etc.)
Q: I'm looking for a scheduling website to coordinate a meeting for busy people.
Q: I'm having Problem X with Firefox.
A: MozillaZine's Firefox support forums - anonymous posting is allowed
Q: I need a Firefox extension to do X.
Q: Can you help with a particular computer/peripheral/software problem?
A: Protonic offers free tech support.
Q: I'm looking for some FREE software to do X, or a free alternative to Program Y
Q: My iPod has stopped working, what do I do now?
Q: I'm visiting my family to do some tech support on their computer, and need to bring the proper tools. What software do I need?
Q: What are some great programs for my new USB Flash drive?
Q: My hard drive has failed, what do I do now?
Q: What program do I use to [do something related to audio editing]?
Q: How do I record streaming media (e.g. realaudio)?
A: Total Recorder for Windows, Audio Hijack for OS X. Note that both of these will capture the decoded audio signal and not the original stream, resulting in some loss of quality. MPlayer is less user-friendly, but it can dump the original stream to disk; it has Linux, Win32, and OS X ports. For a more easy-to-use interface (Windows) that allows one to rip streams (WMV, RM, ASF) try Streamdown. Examples: 1 2 3
Q: As a [beginner or inexperienced] programmer, what language should I use to [do something]?
A: Programming language preferences differ a lot. Having said that, many will recommend Python as a powerful language that is both easy to learn and well-supported by many useful libraries. Examples: 1 2 3
Q: Help me pick out a cell phone that does X, Y, and Z on Carrier A.
Q: What's a good introduction to electronics?
Home & Garden
Q: What is this spider and is it going to kill me?
A: Spider ID
Work & Money
Q. I am trying to help someone experiencing homelessness, what can I do?
Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation
Society & Culture
Q: Do I need a lawyer for X?
A: Call a lawyer and ask. To be on the safe side, probably.
Q: I need legal advice on X topic for X state.
A: Get a lawyer. We are not lawyers; if we are, we are not YOUR lawyer.
Travel & Transportation
Q: What are some must-see sites/must-do attractions in (city/country)?
Science & Nature
Q: Where can I find affordable eyeglasses?
A: Glassy Eyes
Q: I would like to sleep less. How can I sleep less?
Q: I would like to sleep more/better. How can I do this?
Q: I need therapy but have no insurance and can't afford it.
Q: I want to lose fat from / tone body part X. How do I do this?
Q: I'm looking for some good cookware.
Q: I need help buying a gift for my mother/friend/etc.
A: There are over 1300 posts tagged with "gift" on AskMe. Please try looking through them.
Q: What should I buy that's reliable, durable, and possibly worth spending a lot of money on?
- Help me upgrade the quality of my life for 100 bucks?
- what items do you have or recommend that are such good quality that you only buy them once, or that are repairable rather than disposable?
- Which moderately expensive thing has most radically improved your life?
- Name a purchase of yours that was worth every penny!
- Looking for retailers with lifetime guarantee / warranty
- Best Long-Lasting Products Evar
- Might as well have the best.
- Now that I'm making enough to feel rich (without actually being rich?), what stuff would make my life way better?
- What are some items you purchased that have had the net effect of simplifying your life or reducing the clutter in your home?
- Cheap but bombproof II
- Lifetime warranties
- What tools/devices last decades allowing for routine maintenance?
- Shopping Filter: When do I need the best of the best? What is the best of the best? And how do I know the difference?
- What realiable durable goods wouuld you recommend?
- Cheap but bombproof
Q: What's worth spending a little more money on?
Q: Where you can go for high-quality household items?
Food & Drink
Writing & Language
Q: What's the origin of the expression...?
A: Some common phrases are references to pop culture. Many, many phrases aren't, and have no traceable origin.
Q: I'm trying to remember a book I read from when I was younger....
Q: I'm looking for a good book to read.
A: What Should I Read Next. LibraryThing combines library management with social features such as suggestions. Also, if you already have an Amazon wishlist, but instead put in books you have already read, Amazon will make recommendations to you.
Q: What's a good introduction to electronics?
A: See Technology.
Q: I am tired of going out to movies, restaurants, watching TV, etc. all the time with my date / partner / spouse and would like suggestions (preferably inexpensive) for alternative things to do with him/her. Help me make unexpected, fun dating plans.
A: See these threads:
- Fun with the S.O.
- What can we do together?
- What do you want to do? I don't know, what do you want to do?
- Carpe the crepuscular diem
- Help us turn off our TV
- Budget dating without being cheap
- Reclaiming the marital entertainment space
Q: My partner wants us to have a more open relationship and I've never done something like that before. Can this work out?
Q: My partner has foo problem and I'm trying to convince them to see a therapist. How do I do this?
Q: My partner has been treating me badly - should we work it out?
A: DTMFA. not safe for work definition
Q: I've decided it's time to DTMFA. How do I do this the best way?
Q: I have a crush on person X. I've gotten all these signals, but I'm not sure what they mean. What should I do?
A: Be straightforward: tell them how you feel, and ask the person out. It'll put an end to your sleepless wondering, and the worst that can happen is that they'll say "no".
Q: Is it OK to ask for money for my wedding?
A: Opinions vary. (See also: YouWHAT.)
- brutal honesty filter: asking for money instead of wedding gifts?
- How do we ask for cash as a wedding gift?
- DIY gift registry and wording of said registry - help!
- Wedding Registry Language
- Which Service to Use for Collecting Wedding Cash?
- What does the couple who has everything register for?
- Giving Individualized Future Travel
- Is this a wedding or a fundraiser?
- So few options, yet so many questions...
- Modern Wedding Questions from a modern kind of guy
- We'd prefer invites with tact
- Wedding etiquette
- I hope their first child be a masculine child
- How much money do I give for a wedding gift?
- What is the proper way of asking for cold, hard cash for wedding gifts?
Media & Arts
Q: What is the name of this story/movie/book about children? The central plot device is it rains all the time except for one day/hour of the year/decade? A: All Summer in a Day by Ray Bradbury. Probably the number one repeated ID me question. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6,7, 8, 9, 10, 11.
Q: What is that dark, dramatic choral music you hear all the time in movie trailers?
Q: What is that song that is always used in X situation ?
A: Check the what song do they use always use thread
Q: How can I find new music that I would like?
For new indie music try: 1.
Q: Help me make a mix CD with music about X?
Q: What song is this?
A: It's Understanding Joshua.
Q: What is this font?
Pets & Animals
Q: My cat exhibits this crazy behavior; is he/she the only one?
A: Nope, mine does it too. (x 1000)
Religion & Philosophy
Clothing, Beauty & Fashion
Q: How do I get this gasoline smell out of my clothes?
Law & Government
Q: I have a complicated legal issue I need advice on. What should I do?
A: Get a lawyer.
Q: I have a less complicated legal issue that I merely need information about, rather than the advice of an attorney.
Q: What are some other great blogs and news websites that I should be reading ?