|MetaFilter's site and server can always use upgrades of hardware, software, and bandwidth, as well as more stable funding for continued support of its small but high-skilled moderation and backend team! If you'd like to chip in, you can donate to Metafilter.|
Unintentional theme day
There are Yearly Traditions, and then there are unintentional theme days, where a few MeFites band together and Make It A Thing (where "It" is some random topic, generally with no official or formal association with that particular date). While both traditions and one-offs were documented in a shared Google Calendar, this page documents those one-off events. If they are carried forward to a second year, they can be considered a tradition. But by the same token, they can be undesignated a tradition if they aren't performed annually.
- 1 January 24: Pseudo-Scorpion Day
- 2 February 10: Bad Movie Day
- 3 February 21: Zelda Day Alternate
- 4 February 24: Scorpion Day, Take 2
- 5 February 26: Pig Day
- 6 March 4-5: Worf Day
- 7 April 20: Fustian Day
- 8 April 21/22: Numbers Day
- 9 May 10: Mad Ape Den Day
- 10 May 19: Make Your Bed [Post] Day
- 11 June 16: Enspousening Day
- 12 July 19: Rabbit/Flash Day
- 13 July 23: Penis Mention Day
- 14 September 21: How Many Day
- 15 October 8: Elephant Day
- 16 December 26: Zelda Day
January 24: Pseudo-Scorpion Day
February 10: Bad Movie Day
February 21: Zelda Day Alternate
The anniversary of the release date of The Legend of Zelda in the US, there have been a few well-timed posts, and some near-misses.
2011: Feb. 14 - What you need to do is find yourself a new heart container and fill it. The Legend of Zelda as a 1980s teen movie; Feb. 21 - LoZ turns 25! Today is the 25th anniversary of the release of The Legend of Zelda. Feb. 23 - It's a secret to everybody. An interesting look at the live-broadcast Satellaview games in the Zelda series.
2012: Feb. 22 - Saving Zelda -- Tevis Thompson writes about Nintendo's video game series The Legend of Zelda.
2019: Feb. 21 - “COME, LINK…. LET US AWAKEN…TOGETHER!!” The Legend of Zelda: Link’s [re:]Awakening, coming to Nintendo Switch later this year.
February 24: Scorpion Day, Take 2
In 2020, cortex declared FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE SCORPIONS, after there were four Scorpion-type posts.
February 26: Pig Day
In 2013, there was a pair of pig posts: "once having given a pig an enema there is no turning back," on Death Of A Pig, E.B. White. Also, Did the piggy have a mens rea? In the Middle Ages, animals that did bad things were tried in court. Maybe that’s not as crazy as it sounds.
March 4-5: Worf Day
In 2014, we pondered What's with Wharf, er Worf?
April 20: Fustian Day
Per Wikipedia, Fustian is a variety of heavy cloth woven from cotton, chiefly prepared for menswear. It is also used figuratively to refer to pompous, inflated or pretentious writing or speech, from at least the time of Shakespeare. This literary use is because the cloth type was often used as padding, hence, the purposeless words are fustian.
Which is to say, April 20, 2006 was a rather Fustian Day:
1. I take my coffee black and white. Developing black and white film at home just got much cheaper. It's possible to develop film using tea, coffee, or even vitamin C. To avoid being called a fustian photography nerd, call it caffenol (or caffeinol, but not that caffeinol).
2. Not for profit bike shops -- Need a bike? Want to avoid the fustian salespeople at the mainstream bike shop and don't want to spend a ridiculous amount to get one? Recycle-a-Bicycle in NYC or Bikes not Bombs in Boston can hook you up with a nice, stylish new (used) ride for a reasonable price. Have too many bikes? Donate 'em.
3. Programming doesn't have to be easy -- Somewhere between theoretical constructs like finite automata and Turing machines and feature-rich programming languages like Perl and C++ lives a world of misfits. These so-called esoteric languages frequently employ obfuscation and fustian as central design goals; but that doesn't mean you can't do some neat (useless) things with them.
April 21/22: Numbers Day
May 10: Mad Ape Den Day
May 19: Make Your Bed [Post] Day
2016: aka Happy Nappy Day
June 16: Enspousening Day
July 19: Rabbit/Flash Day
What is this, RabbitFilter? On July 19, 2002, as of 12:24 EST (9:24 PST, 17:24 GMT), there were 14 threads, 10 of which are related to Flash and/or rabbits.
July 23: Penis Mention Day
2013: is there some kind of MetaFilter penis thing going on here? Is July 23rd annual Penis Mention Day on the Blue for those in the know? Well, it is now. Or, it was.
September 21: How Many Day
October 8: Elephant Day
Elephant Day was recognized in 2006.