|MetaFilter's site and server can always use upgrades of hardware, software, and bandwidth, as well as more stable funding for continued support of its small but high-skilled moderation and backend team! If you'd like to chip in, you can donate to Metafilter.|
US Presidential Campaign Videos
The evolution of the US presidential campaign ad, 1952 to 1996...
From flibbertigibbet's US Presidential Campaign Videos.
- 1 1952
- 2 1956
- 3 1960
- 4 1964
- 5 1968
- 6 1972
- 7 1976
- 8 1980
- 9 1984
- 10 1988
- 11 1992
- 12 1996
- I Love the Gov [apologies for the intro]
- Ike... Bob...
- Vote Stevenson/The Music Man
- Remember the Farmer, Back to the Days of '31
- Election Day newsreel, including a Santa Claus arriving in a flying saucer
- Eisenhower, Suez, and Hungary in 1956.
- Harry Belafonte for Kennedy
- West Virginia PRIMARY reel
- Every Republican.../Nixon's Experience
- Kennedy Kennedy Kennedy Kennedy
- If We Fail...
- Viva Kennedy
- Medical Care for our Older Citizens
- Nixon, a year after the election, playing his piano concerto
- Nixon/Kennedy bio and debate
- other parts of which, dealing solely with Nixon and his life, are available here
- Kennedy's inauguration, (part 2)
- Kennedy on November 9th, 1960.
- I don't feel guilty being a Republican
- Goldwater needs the KKK's help
- The Daisy Ad
- Which Barry?/Remember Him?
- Great Society
- Saw off the Eastern Seaboard [annoying intro]
- I Don't like No-Win Wars
- Bearded Dictator, 90-miles off/The Hand of Big Government/Is Moral Responsibility Out of Style/I Pledge Allegiance).
- Honourable End
- Endorsed by Bush/Endorsed by Baker
- Freedom from Fear
- Do Something WITH your Country
- American Youth
- Speaking For You
- So Ineffectively as in Vietnam
- What has Nixon ever done for you?
- Agnew for VP [annoying intro]
- Nixon's Silence
- Political Winds
- Do you want Castro to have the bomb?
- This is about...
- You have to make those hard decisions
- He was hired by James McCord/Don't want to rock the boat/assorted 1984 primary advertisements
- Our Economy... [annoying intro].
- CBS on Nixon's re-election efforts, in January, 1972
- Nixon goes on Soviet TV
- Shirley Maclaine goes on Cavett for McGovern.
- I'm a Southerner (annoying intro)
- It's hard Work (Rosalyn Carter) (annoying intro)
- The Republicans assure us/two 1980 commercials
- We've built walls
- Carter profile
- Ford's debate gaffe
- Ford at Republican National Convention
- Reagan's Impromptu Concession speech
- Ford's bicentennial minute
- Mark Russell's special on the '76 campaign (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
- Dole: Democratic wars.
- Nancy deeply resents...
- Ted Kennedy: No More
- Can we afford four more years?
- George Bush: a president we won't have to train [primary commercial, 25 seconds in]
- Slowly we slip...
- Biographical sketch: a State of Crisis
- The Ayatollah Votes
- Home-owning and inflation
- Inflation and the elderly
- clip of the Reagan-Carter debate ("there you go again"), and that phrase reprised in the Reagan-Mondale debate
- Reagan accepts the nomination
- Carter's statement on the doomed Operation Eagle Claw
- the birth of toll-free contribution numbers.
- World Leaders
- The Bear
- Morning in America
- secure Peace
- A New Beginning [part 2]
- Next Tuesday
- This was America in 1980... Today
- This was America (Foreign Policy)
- American Dream
- Arms Control
- Whole world at stake
- Polls don't vote... fight!
- Your share of Mr. Reagan's Deficits
- Mr. Reagan's People
- Always Felt [annoying intro]
- Teach your Parents
- Orbit KILLER WEAPONS
- The Red Phone [annoying intro]
- Gary Hart's 'New Ideas' [primary, annoying intro]
- Computers will take control!
- Deficits of the Presidents [annoying intro]
- Idle Tools [annoying intro, primary]).
- Jesse Jackson at Tendley Baptist (David and Goliath)
- Gary Hart campaign
- Jesse Jackson Blues
- second Reagan-Mondale debate.
- Boston Harbor
- The Willie Horton ad [poor quality]
- "He opposed"
- Raised taxes [1:15 in; video also includes Newscenter 8 sign-off, an ad for Speedy, US Air, and after the Bush commercial, an ad for Geraldo]
- Vetos and furloughs
[N.B. all videos that follow for the Dukakis-Bentsen campaign have an annoying intro]
- Leadership: Crime
- I'm Fed Up With It!
- The Best America is Yet To Come
- Packaging Bush
- Packaging Quayle
- The President if Mortal/One in Five
- 60-day notice
- Social Security
- Hey Pal!
- All of us are enriched
- Furloughs: The Response
- Jimmy did well...
- Packaging Bush, part 2,
- Can't Afford to be a Republican
- Packaging Bush/Furlough: Part 3
- Where was George?
- Stopped Seabrook: Seabrook Nuclear Power Station.
- CNN analysis of the campaign commercial [poor quality]
- CNN highlight reel [poor quality]
- "You're no Jack Kennedy
- Bush vs Rather on Iran-Contra [poor quality]
- Read My Lips
- Debate: If Kitty Dukakis were raped and murdered...
- Debate: What do you see in Dan Quayle?
- Dukakis vs Ted Koppel on Nightline
- Seabrook Today.
- Can't Afford Four more years
- Read my Lips
- Read My Lips 
- Endorsed by over 600 economists
- Biography [annoying into; part 2]
- Enough! [annoying intro]
- Read my Lips Alert [annoying intro]
- More than 30-second ads [annoying intro]
- Republican Neglect [annoying intro]
- A Plan for America)
(no advertisements found)
- Let your vote say so!
- plus bonus video: Perot profile on CNN, which features clips of some commercials, and an example of Perot's speaking style).
- Letterman: Top Ten reasons Bush Should (not) Dump Quayle
- Letterman: Top Ten: Quayle's complaints about Clinton
- Potatoe and other Quayle quips
- Murphy Brown responds (part 2, 3, 4, 5)
- Letterman: Top Ten Things Overhead at the President's Fundraiser
- Clinton in Beasley School, Chicago, during the primaries
- Clinton vs heckler
- Clinton on Nightline [focusing on leaked letter re: Vietnam draft] (part 2, 3)
- Gore on campaign trail
- Super 8 Clinton
- A Different World election episode clip
- 1992 review
- Read My Lips MTV Mashup with discussion by Bill Moyers and guests.
- In the line of duty: assault weapons [poor quality]
- growth and opportunity [annoying intro]
- quitting [annoying intro]
- If Bob Dole were already here... [annoying intro]
- Risky! [annoying intro]
(no ads, but there are interviews).