From Mefi Wiki
- 1 Personal Finance AskMe Questions
Personal Finance AskMe Questions
Started in this MetaTalk post. Given that the original compiler is an American, this series of links is very USA-centric. Please feel free to add AskMefi questions that relate to your country or culture.
Personal Finance Resources
Resources from Mefites
Debt and Credit
- How to approach paying off multiple creditors.
- Getting out of debt: "Be smart. Don't play games."
- A no credit lifestyle.
- A method for determining how much credit card debt you should allow yourself.
- "Today is the first payday of the rest of my life": strategies for complete money reform.
- Why the fastest way to get out of debt isn't the best way to get out of debt.
- When bankruptcy is the way to go.
- What credit cards are best?
Saving and Investing
- How do I determine where to put my money?
- What are the best methods for saving over the short term (3-5 years)?
- How can I afford to build an emergency fund?
Major Money Events
Household Money Management and Keeping Financial Records
- Tracking expenses and budgeting 101.
- How to handle an increase in income wisely.
- How to keep track of multiple people spending from one account.
- The work/life/money balance.
- How much money should I budget for unexpected expenses?
- "Stabbing myself in the eye with a letter opener": What records do we need to keep, and how do we do it?
- The emotional aspects of money.
Managing Money in Relationships
- Deciding whether you're a "our money" couple or a "your money/my money" couple.
- Advice on tracking expenses with your spouse/significant other.
- Balancing finances when one person in a relationship makes more than the other.