|MetaFilter's site and server can always use upgrades of hardware, software, and bandwidth, as well as more stable funding for continued support of its small but high-skilled moderation and backend team! If you'd like to chip in, you can donate to Metafilter.|
Extended Riffing Sessions
This is a collection of threads on MetaFilter where the comments creatively continue the theme of the original post.
Alternative titles for this sort of thing, as suggested in a MetaTalk post about these threads, include: Delightful, community-building grabassery, Does what it says on the tin threads, Munchausen by Posties, filter loop, epostystericals, meta meme thread, quine, selfrep, Steve, "And I do!" threads, MensaFilter, mimetic threads, conspicuous diegesis, thread-as-fanfic, Infrafilter, MetaRiffing, cascading threads, PARTEY POAST, MakeFi, teRIFFic, home, filting, a fliterie of riffing, and The Aristocrats!
And now, with no further delay ...
The MetaFilter Threads
In chronological order, from oldest down to newest
- New to MetaFilter? Not sure how it works? - the first self-referential parody post about MetaFilter, featuring Fred
- metafilter parody - the second self-referential parody post about MetaFilter, and technically a dupe of the first, but there's more extended riffing, and it was the early days of MeFi.
- Fun with Puns - the first Tom Swifties post
- Bruce Wayne shuns his role as the masked crusader "Batman" in favour of international travel after cleaning the city of a mysterious fog and receiving no thanks in the process. - Backward movies
- Helen Duncan was the last woman to be convicted of witchcraft in Britain. This was in 1944. - tangent of a tangent, starting with the limerick There once was a lady from Toft
- There once was a girl named Lenore - Famous poems rewritten as limericks
- Comic Sans - starting with the linked comment by cortex, mathowie uses dread admin powers to make a thread full of Comic Sans font hate display in Comic Sans, leading to more than a few parodies of office pamphlets and forwards from grandma. (NB: May not render properly on iOS)
- This is the title of this post - self-referencing ... stuff
- DIE HARD: Dysfunctional cop saves marriage by murdering foreign national - Uncomfortable Plot Summaries
- “I’ve stolen Guevara’s puzzle cube” remarked Tom cherubically - the second Tom Swifties post
- The Kinquering Congs This Title Makes - Spoonerisms, from Reverend Dr. William Archibald Spooner
- Take my password, please! - Funniest Joke of the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, 2011
- The 50 Greatest Video Game Characters of All Time - You may not have heard of some of these characters...
- Pull my finger - fart jokes
- Will everyone on the internet go, “Pft! Are you kidding? Is that it? Your story?” Yes? Congratulations. Post it here. - Dull rock and roll anecdotes
- Santana Smooth - Santana’s Supernatural was 1999’s most surprisingly successful album (and most MeFites hate it)
- I: is all you can say is purple? p: yes. - Bad Kid's Jokes
- Regular expressions against IMDb - replace heart with butt
- Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dad - Book Titles with One Letter Missing
- Pico Horror: terror in two sentences - lots of really short horror stories
- Music for Stuff - Music, and stuff
- MeFites got beef - the post on Kendrick Lamar's Verse on Control turns into a Meta rap battle
- The tornado did nothing to the sharks, sorry. - Twitter: @HardSciFiMovies imagines the plots of SF/F movies moving more in line with reality.... [via mefi projects]
- It's like that scene from Amazon Women on The Moon...but less funny Hung like a museum's prize painting OR art-themed dick jokes, ad absurdum.
- What can these waffles teach us about sticking together? Simpsons jokes expressed as Upworthy headlines.
- Do We All Float Down Here? One Clown Says Yes. These editors decided to rewrite book titles to sound like clickbait. The results will astound you. (And the riffing continued in the MeTa thread Can You Ace This One Weird Quiz? CLICK HERE to Find Out!, where the Sporcle quiz was shared.
The MetaTalk Threads
- All my ex-posts live in Tex-post - dash_slot- needs clarification of a deletion reason because it is a George Strait joke. More George Strait jokes follow, and then a number of country songs are rendered as haiku.
- The Dune Abides - a tangent from the MeTa about the cancellation of "Dune Week"
- A FIST OF COMIC SANS is my new typography related noir thriller - a tangent from a MeTa thread about MeMail, which lead to another tangent in a different MeTa thread