|MetaFilter's site and server can always use upgrades of hardware, software, and bandwidth, as well as more stable funding for continued support of its small but high-skilled moderation and backend team! If you'd like to chip in, you can donate to Metafilter.|
Best of Ask MetaFilter
This is a non-comprehensive and subjective list by Adrian. Many of the posts on Ask MetaFilter are answered quickly and accurately, but this list highlights some of the more difficult and unusual questions that occasionally bug us all. It also highlights those questions with outstanding answers.
- How do you make chopping onions more bearable on the eyes and sinuses? - a common problem with some good solutions suggested
- I desperately want a cat, and my S.O. is slightly allergic. Does anyone know if there are any breeds of cat that are less likely to provoke an allergic reaction? Any suggestions for keeping his allergies from being a problem, other than a HEPA vacuum? Also, he wants a ferret. Is a ferret likely to cause him any problems? Am I likely to have any problems raising a ferret and a cat together? - some practical advice from the cat-lovers on MeFi.
- After living together for four years, my sig other and I are ready to take the plunge - and buy a good vacuum cleaner - detailed advice coming from experienced MeFiers. Basically, Miele and Animal are good, but Dyson is overpriced. Also some stuff on professional-grade cleaners.
- How to lose a serious pet peeve: Seeking advice on dealing with food noise issues - sensitive and detailed advice. Turns out that this problem is more widespread than expected.
- Are there hygiene problems with eating ants? - garden ants are fine, Pharoah's ants are not. Now you just have to recognise them.
- My wife and I currently have about 12K in credit card debt. We have controlled our spending and are slowly paying off our cards starting with the highest interest rates first. Does anyone have any tips or experiences on how to refinance our credit card debt at lower interest rates? - there's lots of information on the Internet about getting out of credit card debt, so arguably you could say this question was not suitable. However, the advantage of Ask MetaFilter is that the posters don't have an agenda and are genuinely there to help, which is why this question garned such a good response, covering all the bases from credit counselling services to simply talking to the credit card company
- Is there anything I can do to convince my son that the hobbits in LOTR are not gay? - one of the more unusual posts, but the responses run the whole spectrum from interpreting Tolkein's words to the perception of homosexuals in past and contemporary society. The thread falls apart a little at the end, but still demonstrates that these types of questions can be asked and will get good answers.
- Need engagement ring advice - Rule 1: No DeBeers diamonds. Rule 2: No DeBeers diamonds. Rule 3: Shop around, and don't give in to salespeople. Oissubke's comment stands out for its clarity and value (a little like a good engagement ring).
- I need tips on how to ask for a raise at a job I started three months ago... - something that many of us have to go through but have little experience. Some strategies: fake a counteroffer, ask for a performance review, point out that your extra responsibilites should be compensated. Make sure you leave out any mention of personal money problems.
- Um, we have two kittens and a Christmas tree. This is an unfortunate combination. How do we keep them from knocking it and its ornaments to the floor? - the solutions can be divided into either scaring the kittens, or firmly securing the tree. The former includes tying balloons to the base of the tree, squirting the kittens with water. The latter includes weighing down the base or tying the top to the ceiling.
- finals are over. what will get me drunk fast and cheap? - lots of varied and good suggestions. Some suggest spending the extra dollar to get something nice that won't give you a hangover.
- What would you do if $730 (US) fell into your lap unexpectedly? I want to surprise my wife with something really cool and unexpected, but my creativity is on its annual holiday vacation. - obviously a difficult question since we don't know his wife, but joaquim posted a great suggestion: get the cash in new bills, bind them together in a book with a cover saying "Universal Gift Certificates" and go shopping.
- Suppose you killed somebody... - A surprisingly rational discussion about what to do with a dead body.
- Life-altering experiences. "Can you point to a single experience in your life, as a child, which you can define as having contributed to the person you are today?" Some amazing responses, ranging from horrifying and heartwrenching to uplifting and life-affirming.