|MetaFilter's site and server can always use upgrades of hardware, software, and bandwidth, as well as more stable funding for continued support of its small but high-skilled moderation and backend team! If you'd like to chip in, you can donate to Metafilter.|
Systemic Racism 101
After this comment in MetaTalk that followed many similar requests, this page is for Mefites to gather links and accessible resources to help other Mefites better understand systemic racism, and to then understand themselves and others better, and then to do better.
General advice for having a better discussion:
- “Believe people when they tell you about things in their own lives.”
- “Don’t make abstract theoretical statements about classes of people. They’re right here and they can speak for themselves.”
- “If you’re about to ask ‘Why don’t they just...’ you are probably about to offend.” source
- This really short video is an excellent "101": How To Be Less Stupid About Race by Dr. Crystal M. Fleming of SUNY Stony Brook
- If the video above seemed good, the book How To Be Less Stupid About Race is worth your time. Fleming is a professor but this book is plain-spoken and to the point.
- "White Supremacy Culture" is a short article that explains how we grow up exposed to certain biases. (Recommended by Mefite solotoro.)