|MetaFilter's site and server can always use upgrades of hardware, software, and bandwidth, as well as more stable funding for continued support of its small but high-skilled moderation and backend team! If you'd like to chip in, you can donate to Metafilter.|
SSM FPP-in-Progress: Wisconsin
Requested Information for Each State:
- Background of the relevant laws and court cases
- Links to the actual text of bills, rulings, opinions, statements from government officials, etc. to date
- Links to profiles and human interest stories about the plaintiffs and other affected couples in the state
- Suggested draft text for various potential outcomes
- Links to previous MeFi posts about SSM in that state
Please sign your user name on each state page you work on so that whomever eventually posts that state's FPP can thank everyone who contribute.
- On November 7, Wisconsin Referendum 1 of 2006 was passed by voters by a margin of 59.4%-40.6% [PDF].
The text of the referendum is:
Marriage. Shall section 13 of article XIII of the constitution be created to provide that only a marriage between one man and one woman shall be valid or recognized as a marriage in this state and that a legal status identical or substantially similar to that of marriage for unmarried individuals shall not be valid or recognized in this state?[PDF]
and the amendment to the state constitution is as follows:
Section 13 of article XIII of the constitution is created to read: [Article XIII] Section 13. Only a marriage between one man and one woman shall be valid or recognized as a marriage in this state. A legal status identical or substantially similar to that of marriage for unmarried individuals shall not be valid or recognized in this state. [PDF]